Thursday, January 1, 2009

About New Years Resolutions...

I don't typically make them, simply because, I know that I will be unable to keep them. No matter how good my intentions in the past, the ones made to lose weight, eat better, cut out coke/pepsi as my main source of hydration, etc, etc, etc., I have NEVER been able to keep ONE SINGLE RESOLUTION. This year, I may have to change that. Today, I spent the better part of my day trying to balance the checkbook. I had not TOUCHED it since sometime the beginning of October. By this I mean, I had not entered a single transaction, balanced the thing, or anything having to do with keeping track of my money. I chose to live in fantasy land where there is always plenty of money in there and that it will miraculously take care of itself for me. Well, I found out today that that didn't happen. I managed to get it balanced through the end of November and then had to stop for the day for fear that my brain would explode from looking at numbers for hours on end. Boy, do you really see the error of your ways when you are entering in all the random transactions. Ours are very heavy on the eating out end. Target is also a very very bad place for me to go unattended.

This being said, my New Years Resolution is to balance the checkbook at the very minimum, once a week, preferable Friday or Saturday. I hope I can keep this one. Maybe if I do, things will improve in our financial life in 2009.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Quicken, has saved our bank account and our marriage, it is easy to use, only takes a couple of minutes, it worth the money. I too have found that Target is a place to avoid. Trying using cash more, it helps to limit spending.

35 and holding said...

i use quicken thanks to my sister in law, but still REFUSE To sit down and balance the thing for some reason. I think i prefer living in fantasy land where i have unlimited cash on hand,for some reason.

As for Target, it needs to be a place I never step foot in..

Sarah said...

now seeing you at target today makes your comment funny!