Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Open House

Welcome to the Toler House! Here is how we decorate for Christmas and some of the stories behind the decorations. Enjoy!

The outside of my house at night. Couldn't get the hubby on the upper part of the roof to hang lights this year. Maybe next...

I LOVE Gingerbread themed decorations, so, I just HAD to get this to put on the porch wall to greet visitors as they approach the front door.

A wreath, made by me, welcomes you at the front door.

We hang this Hallmark Advent felt calendar on the back of the front door each year. My kids love to come down first thing in the morning and put on the days ornament.

The sofa table. Please ignore the crumpled blinds at the windows (lets not even talk about the crumpled sofa cushions). CATS and KIDS!! One day, I will have a nice new sofa. One day. In the meantime, I need to find a good slip cover.

A close up of the Santa and gingerbread decorations on the sofa table.

My Partylite snowmen decorations from back in the day when I was a rep. for them. Harrison's dinosaur peeking out is a bonus!

The mantle and fireplace where the man in red makes his entrance. Our stockings are hung by the chimney with care. I am hoping that one Christmas morning, I wake to a FULL stocking...

I thought this was a cool close up of the angel on the mantle, complete with lights.

My favorite, the Nativity.

This is another more modern Holy Family tealight holder that I really like. It has since been moved from the mantle to another location in the house.

The kids and I have a tradition each year of making gingerbread houses at Grandma's house. Harrison's is on the left, Maia's is on the right, and I made the mini houses in the background and the foamie decorations. They sit atop the TV.

A close up of Harrison's house, struck by an avalanche. He got a bit carried away with the frosting.

Some of my Foamie creations. I have found a new calling in life. To create foamies! I have never had so much fun in my life as when I made these!! All my friend, who thought it was terrible that I made them and not the kids, said was "aren't they for like 3 and up?" I don't get her point...

Maia's house. She could not have gotten any more candy on hers or the roof and walls would have caved in.

Because I am anal, my Mom bought me my own houses to make so I wouldn't harass the kids about theirs. I know, SAD. Hey, I have a degree in fine arts, what can i say?? The house on the right is a johnny house, complete with moon above the door. It really was just a house, but it looked like an outhouse, so that is what it became!

Another Foamie creation. Part of the gingerbread scene.
The gingerbread decorations had multiplied this year so they also adorn the top of my piano. These, however, are not edible.

Cute little gingerbread cookie people are part of the piano village. I know, I am getting a bit carried away with all the photos, but I was having fun!

Ahh, it wouldn't be Christmas without the tree, complete with cute kitty Amos sitting on the tree skirt. You can just make out his white face. My favorite is the candy garland I got for $.50 a tube at Lowes one year.

Some photos of my favorite ornaments and the stories that go with them. I really had to restrain myself here because this was getting quite photo intensive, but here are a few.

Of course, I LOVE this ornament of my two angels done a couple years ago.

This ornament reminds me of Harrison catching snow on his tongue...
Harrison, catching snow at the Christmas Parade last week.
Maia's 3rd Christmas Ornament. Perfect because she IS a Princess. See this post.
This one represents Chris, my hubby the skateboarder and Harrison who LOVES Scooby Doo and Skateboarding.
This was my favorite ornament as a child, and now hangs on my tree. Yep, I was an 80s child.

The dining room table. Clean for once...


Now, your Holiday treat for visiting my page...

Heavily frosted and decorated sugar cookies made by myself, Chris and the kids. No recipe here folks, just a box of...

... sold at Target for $7.99, comes complete with cookie cutters, frosting and cookie mix. Just add water! Tastes great and half the cost of buying all the ingredients yourself! Yep, I am a slacker. Shhh, no one else has to know...
Our Private Visit with the man in red last night! Thanks Diane! (Maia was upset because she could not remember what she wanted for Christmas and forgot her list!)


Merry Christmas from Our Family to Yours!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

i love the gingerbread houses, i always want to make them but never get around to it

Gretchen said...

i love your nativity!

thanks for visiting my blog

35 and holding said...

Thanks! I am a target shopper. Got it for less than $10 after Christmas one year.

Musings of a Housewife said...

LOVE the gingerbread village. HOW FUN!!!! Thanks for stopping by. Merry Christmas!

Susanne said...

What fun decorations! Love your nativity!

Merry Christmas!