Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Losing my Religion

I received an email this evening from a fellow member of my church that really really disturbed me. Before I go into a tirade, I am a Christian, but my church going has just started to really be a major thing in my life. There is always so much drama in the church that it has, at times, but a very bad taste in my mouth for those who say they are Christian and attend my church. I have been a member of this particular church since I was born, and I was married there, my husband transfered membership to this church, and both my children were dedicated in this church and will hopefully be baptised there when the time is right for them. The events that have gone on as of late are really not that much different that what has happened in the past. The major thing for me is that our Minister is one of the primary reasons Chris and I have become so active in our church in the past few years. Let me back up...

A few months ago, accusations were made against the minister that were eventually investigated by the police and found to be totally untrue. The women who brought forth these charges were asked to leave the church and never come back. It was ordered by the courts. He (the minister) held strong and had supporters and those who did not support him. If you could meet this man and his young family it would make sense why this is crazy. He has brought so much to our church, which, up until his time, was filled with older generation church members. Not too many young families and children/teens were members or active in church life. The turn around in our church has been amazing under his leadership. He gave me the desire to learn more, to know more, to be more involved in the church, to be part of something larger than myself and life itself. Now, it seems another group of people has started to stir the pot again and the minister has accepted a job at a church in Texas. He will be leaving soon. I am sick and sad and angry. I would like to see any one of these people lead this church. They have not liked the fact that he has brought the church to where it is, that there are young families involved, that the music is not all traditional, but they have incorporated praise music complete with drum kit and electronic keyboard. GASP!!! Welcome to 2008. Don't like it? Too loud? Turn your hearing aid off. Better yet, Lynchburg is full of churches. Find a new one. Leave my church alone. We don't need you and your negativity. These people are Christian?? Whatever. How can they be? Christians don't do that to one another, at least not in my book.

I know it is too late to do much about what has happened. I am just sad to hear that people are so mean. The man is a man after all, not a saint. He can only take so much. He has a family to protect. Before he leaves, he will know what he has done for me though. I only hope I can find the strength to continue on at this church. Here is a quote that just seemed to fit what I am feeling right now. I need to take it to heart...

"When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly."- Edward Teller

2 comments:

Karen said...

I am so sorry to hear about this--it's sad when a small group within the church can cause so much trouble. :o( I hope your church gets a wonderful new pastor and that your pastor and his family will be received well in their new church home.

Adrienne said...

That just stinks.